It’s Wednesday! Though I’m a little late as one of the bigger events many of you have already been to…The Medieval Hoggetown Fair in Gainesville! It was all last weekend. But there is plenty more in store this month in Lake City, Gainesville & all around to help you make some memories with your little one. 😉
1) Saturday, Feb. 9th 6:30p-9p “Stargazing on the Prairie” Though this may be for the older crowd or those of you who have some night owls, I think kids would enjoy it! It’s $5 per person ages 7 & up. Ages 6 & under are FREE. The Alachua Astronomy Club will provide the telescopes, and the expertise. Enjoy sitting around a campfire while sipping hot chocolate & making smores. Take a hayride around Hickory Ranch. Bring your family, friends, and chairs for relaxing. Paynes Prairie is located 10 miles south of Gainesville on Hwy. 441.
Do not enter at the Main Entrance/Ranger Station.
Proceed to Hickory Ranch at 9300 S.E. CR 234, 5 miles north of the intersection of CR 234 and Hwy. 441 in Micanopy.
2) Sunday, February 10th 1pm-4pm “Ask a Scientist” at the Florida Museum of Natural History. This FREE event gives you the opportunity to take advantage of this opportunity to talk with scientists and ask those questions you have been wondering about. Bring your specimens and find answers during an afternoon of discovery and learning. Florida Museum of Natural History Website
3) Thursday, Feb. 14th from 10am-11am or 3pm-4pm this event is for ages 6 & up! Corks n Colors Studio is offering a Peace n Love Valentine’s Day Mini Camp for Ages 6 and up! Kids can make a clay peace sign or heart and enjoy a cupcake. Call to register 352-575-4069
4) Saturday, February 16th ALL DAY is of course, the Olustee Battle Festival. This annual FREE event just west of Lake City on Hwy 90 includes the annual re-enactment of a Civil War Battle between the North and the South. Hundreds of re-enactors come from miles around to participate in this historical event. It also includes lots of booths, food & fun for all ages! For more information head to the Olustee Festival Website.
5) Saturday, February 23rd you can do a Paynes Prairie guided Moonlight walk from 5pm-8pm for only $2 per person.
Meet at the La Chua Trail Parking Lot and join a Paynes Prairie ranger for a moonlight walk along the north rim of the prairie basin. Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a bag dinner to enjoy while watching the sunset from a scenic overlook. (Not recommended for children under 10 years old.) Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park is located 10 miles south of Gainesville, in Micanopy, on the east side of US 441 For more information and to make reservations, call (352) 466-4100
6) Saturday, February 23rd at the Santa Fe Zoo is celebrating “Zoo Animal Appreciation Day”. From 9am-2pm at the Santa Fe Zoo, for regular Zoo admission ($5 for adults, $4 for children, ages 3 & under are FREE) Explore the Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo and the wonder of wildlife. Visit with the animals and chat with the zookeepers at various animal encounter stations throughout the zoo. In front of the zoo, enjoy FREE animal themed children’s crafts, face painting, a bounce house from Space Walk of Gainesville, games and kids activities. PLUS meet various local animal mascots like Odie Bee, Beauregard, Geoffrey the Giraffe, the Chick-fil-A cow and more!
Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo: 3000 NW 83rd St, Gainesville, FL 32606 / (352) 395-5601
7) O’Leno State Park Chili Cookoff/Springs Celebration~ You are invited to have an attend at the annual Springs Celebration/Chili Cook Off at O’Leno State Park on Saturday March 23, 2013 from 11 Am until 3 PM. There is FREE admission to the park with a canned food donation. There will be live music, entertainment, children’s activities, informational exhibits and CHILI! This is a great event along the banks of the Santa Fe River. If you are interested in participating in the Chili Cook Off details and rules can be found at http://www.friendsofoleno.com.
Of course, there are also all the parks around us, the Jacksonville Zoo, The Children’s Hands On Museum in Jacksonville & Bouncin’ Big with 8,000 sq. ft of indoor bounce house & slide fun! Lots to do! Don’t forget to give a little extra love to your littles on Valentine’s Day (Friday’s blog post will be all about fin Valentine’s Day inspired crafts!). 😉